For all who cannot make the spring running of the Loop, there's now a way to experience this magnificent challenge & have your time counted!!!
Hike or run the Loop any day of the year, in either direction & submit your time! Here are a few simple rules:
- All travel must occur during each respective land owner's "open" hours: Dawn to dusk for DCR lands & the Appalachian Trail corridor in CT & MA; 8AM to dusk for NY's Taconic State Park lots*. No other restrictions are known a/o now;
- The route must follow the course of the group run(see this site's "Map" page);
- Foot travel only(no cycling or hitchhiking);
- The effort must be made in a continuous manner(one or several adjacent days);
- Trial-time overnight stays must occur at designated campsites and hotels that are on the Loop route or can be reached by foot(ex: A.T. shelters, Rudd Pond Camps, The White Hart, Race Brook Lodge, etc..);
- Please ignore the Start/Finish spur on the Course Map.
- Once done, email us
with: A full name; start & finish date, time AND location for each
day of travel(if applicable) and the direction of travel.
GPS tracks, Strava entries or other documentation are helpful, but not needed. We will use those to establish more accurate knowledge of the Loop's length & elevation gain.
Three of the first Challenge finishers will be mailed a gift certificate for Hillsdale, NY's CrossRoads Food Shop good into April, 2018!
* Note: MOST Taconic SP parking lots have a DAY USE ONLY
restriction. Park at Rudd Pond or CT & MA parking lots if attempting
the Loop over several days.
Sunday, March 5, 2017
2017 Dates & Format:
Saturday, April 22 2017. Supported fun run. 5AM or earlier Start; pre-dusk Finish.
A ~47 mile single track and country road loop takes one over two of the most prominent ridges in the CT-MA-NY border area. Views of the Berkshires, Catskills, Taconics and farmland valleys surrounding this high plateau abound. Crushed slate & densely vegetated summits provide an air of ruggedness, remoteness & a feeling of independence from most lowland culture.
Limited space is still available!!! Run participation is by invitation only & is filled on a first-come, first-served basis. A limit of 10 runners is in place for the this year's run. To inquire, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. No fees. Free & fee camping is available for the registered. The registration is now closed.
Drop bags &/or assigned potluck support with after-run support from our friends in the community. Up to 7 safety checkpoints and up to 4 food & aid/drop locations.
Please check the Community Partners column to the right to see who has offered their support!!!
Coming with a runner? Consider volunteering! Please visit our Volunteering page!
If you have an interest in partnering with this event- visit our Community Partners page!
Start and finish are located near the borders of NYS's Rudd Pond Area of the Taconic State Park. Exact directions will be sent to registered runners.
Lodging, Dining & Local Attractions:
Free tent camping is available 30 minutes from Start & low-cost tent camping is available 10 minutes from Start.
Select dining options & special offers from our partners are available to all runners.
Email email@example.com for additional information.